Friday, March 29, 2013

First Letter Home


Photos at the Provo Temple across from the MTC just before checking McKenna in at the MTC on 3/27.


This is a brother sandwich with Michael and Conner.
                                     

The three sisters in front of the Provo Temple.
                                           
The whole family gathers for one last photo.



Saying goodbye to Skylar - McKenna's twin - just born ten years later.

                                       


Aunt Kim - who served a mission in France and has been McKenna's second mom since her birth.
                               


First Letter Home: Written 3/27 on arrival day at MTC Snail Mail received 3/29

To my dearest Family,

Hello! I miss you all! I love you so much. I hope you are all having a fabulous week!

I LOVE the MTC! Everyone is so nice. Everywhere you go people say, "Welcome to the MTC, sisters!"

My companion is Sister Morgan. She is from Colorado. She is very nice and we already get along great! She has 11 siblings! Wow! I thought we had a big family!

Portuguese is already coming along! Yay for Rosetta Stone. Please tell Grandpa Craig how helpful it has been!

I found Skylar's note [25 notes hidden throughout her suitcase for her to find later]. So sweet. Speaking of unpacking: we have absolutely NO closet space. But we also have NO hangars. What?! So please send me hangers from my closet - for skirts and shirts. Please send some for Sister Morgan too. Thanks in advance. Also, guess what! They gave everyone in my distict a Seychelle water bottle. HA! [We debated on what kind of filtered water bottle to send forever!]

My district has just as many girls as guys! Everywhere I go I see girls/sisters. Way to represent, ladies! Speaking of my district, everyone is going to Joao Pessoa. That's cool!

Today in our orientation meeting we received this advice:
As a missionary there are really only 2 things you need to do to find success.
1. Get Started.
2. Don't Stop

So true! We just gotta keep going, work hard and never give up. We were also told to always SMILE! If someone slams a door in our face, say, "Oh! What a nice breeze :)! Haha. And I'll definitely be grateful for ANY breeze in Brazil. Another thing: You better believe we sang, "No one likes a frowny face...change it to a smile..." Cheesy? Yes. But hey, it got the point across. I can just see Michael rolling his eyes at this one!

One scripture I found today was D&C 31:3.

I am so excited to be a missionary!
But I also want all of you to know that you can be missionaries at home, too. St. Francis Assisi said, "Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary use words." People are always watching us. Even those who will not hear our words will see our actions. Our message to the world is not what we say but what we do. I love this quote!

Well, of course I have another meeting, so I must go. I just thought I'd let you all know I'm doing well! I will send pictures soon!

Good luck at work/school/home/ whatever. I know this isn't easy, but we can do it! Why? "Because the Moon told me so.." [inside family joke from Rise of the Guardians Movie] #Skylar #favorite movie quote .

I LOVE YOU!

Love,
Sister Seal
(Irma Foca)

P.S. I heard that a member of the Quorum of the Twelve is coming Easter Sunday!Cool! We don't know which one yet.

Also, don't worry, another letter will come on P-day. This is just a Bonus letter" because I had time. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment