Monday, February 3, 2014

Rainy Season?

Good morning, everyone! Or afternoon or evening or whatever.
This week was rather eventful and rainy. I can’t believe we are already getting back to the rainy season? Quite frankly, I’m not sure it ever ended. This is good news and bad news. We love the rain here and welcome it any day. But... you need to see the hills here- they are steep and who knew- Chacos aren’t my best friend after all. It’s really scary walking down hills when their dry... and when they are wet... Já era! I am going to fall. Soon. Maybe even today. Heck, I’m jinxing it. Pois é. Katie says she falls a lot- so maybe it’s only fair I start learning what it feels like too, right?
Last week on Sunday we did a street contact- a boy completely drunk- out of his senses that was telling us how much he loved our voices. It was hilarious. So, we invited him to church and to be baptized. He accepted both, but we didn’t think much of it... Guess what. He actually came Sunday and loved it! Haha and he said that since that last Sunday, he hasn’t smoked or gone out drinking. Miracle. 
This week was interviews with President. Usually interviews are.....uneventful actually. This was my favorite mission interview so far. He gave me the coolest advice regarding my family that I will be passing on to mom soon. And! Another thing. To begin, you must know that I have been wanting for the longest time to know that my Mission President trusts me/ thinks I am a good missionary. I don’t why it was bothering me so much...but it was. So, at the end of my interview, I asked him what I could do to improve. He said, “The two secrets to missionary work are work and obedience.” (In my opinion, add faith and these are the 3 secrets to life, too) He talked about receiving inspiration through prayer and faith. And then, he said something that brought tears to my eyes. He began to thank me for the work I have done here, saying I have done a lot to help.  He laughed and said, ``Bom, você não é uma missionária que da muito trabalho para mim`` which means, you are not a difficult missionary or you aren’t a missionary that gives me a hard time. Hahaha. But the part that touched me most was when he then added that he knows without a doubt that Heavenly Father is pleased with what I have done- that I am a powerful example for the whole mission. Obviously, this is a Portuguese to English translation so I am losing some of the idea here... but that was an inspired interview. I am really grateful that President said what he did, because it was a long time coming answer to prayer. That was definitely the highlight of my week. 
Ok. Gotta wrap this up. So- two wonderful quotes I read earlier:
Thomas S. Monson said, ``The battle for self-discipline may leave you a bit bruised and battered but always a better person. Self discipline is a rigorous process at best too many of us want it to be effortless and painless. Should temporary setbacks afflict us, a very significant part of our struggle for self discipline is the determination to try again. ``
And another by Neal A. Maxwell, ``One’s life... cannot be both faith-filled and stress-free... Therefore, how can you and I really expect to glide naively through life, as if to say, `Lord give me the experience but not the grief, not sorrow, not opposition, not betrayal, and certainly not to be forsaken. Keep from me, Lord, all those experiences which made Thee what thou art! Then let me come and dwell with Thee and fully share thy joy.`` Real Faith... is required to endure this necessary but painful developmental process.`` 
Very true. I am grateful to be learning this idea. 

Love you guys so so so much- sorry this is short- always running out of time.
Love, 

Sister M. Seal


No comments:

Post a Comment