Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Love From Portland


Hey Everyone!
 
OK Family. I have repented, and a letter home is on its way. Be proud! 

This week was great. Tuesday night we had dinner at a member's house (as usual). They had friends over - a family from Holland. We were able to share a message with them about eternal families. It was really great! The parents got teary-eyed. We also got a Book of Mormon for them in their language and let the member family give it to them later that night. We don't know what became of it, but I'll keep you updated.
 
Wednesday night we taught one of our investigators about the Word of Wisdom. We didn't even have to ask, but mid-lesson he interrupts saying, "I'm going to quit drinking coffee". My companions and I were shocked but elated! We were really excited and then asked him how we could help him keep that commitment. I told him a priesthood blessing would be a great comfort and support in this decision and we had his home teacher over later that evening to give him a blessing. It has been a struggle for him. He has Alzheimers and can't remember commitments he makes or even why he makes them. We are struggling to help him, but we pray. That's all we can do.
 
Friday night was great! We taught an investigating couple - we LOVE them! We watched the Joseph Smith movie and "Only a Stonecutter". I think it really helped him understand the restoration. We are working to get a baptismal date for him. He is so ready, he just doesn't know it yet.
 
Saturday we got to go to a wedding! It was really cool. It was a family of recent converts. The parents were divorced, but got remarried. We are so happy for them! The coolest part is that the wife didn't make a big deal out of any of it. She said, "Today doesn't even really matter. The big day will be a year from now when we can be sealed as a family." SO cool! I am so happy for her and her family, that they have that perspective and know that families can be together forever. I am so proud of them for already doing all they can to prepare for the wonderful day that they can be sealed in the temple.
 
Speaking of the temple, on Sunday, we took a different couple (the couple we taught Wednesday) to the Visitor's Center. It was beautiful! We watched a movie about families and it really touched them. They were both in tears. They love how centered the church is on families. I know the church is centered on families because God's plan is centered on families. That is what it is all about. We are trying to help them realize that the blessings of eternal families come through the temple and that it is really important to prepare to go to the temple by first being baptized so that they can have those blessings in their families. 

Also on Sunday we went to a youth fireside at Bishop's house. The recently returned missionary I wrote about earlier talked about his mission in Brasilia, Brazil. It was so cool because throughout his presentation, he would turn to me and say, "but this is how it will be in YOUR mission, Sis. Seal". He gave me a lot of advice/ fun facts. It was sweet! And at the end he bore his testimony in Portuguese and I understood all of it! Thank Heavens I haven't forgotten as much as it feels like I have. But I have a lot of work to do to make up for these past weeks of no Portuguese. Haha its okay though, there is SO much work to be done here in Silverton, OR.
 
Ok, I finished reading the Doctrine and Covenants on Saturday, and I found a really cool scripture. D&C 138:53-56. Specifically verse 56, which I will quote. "Even before they were born, they, with many others,  received their first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth in the due time of the Lord to labor in his vineyard for the salvation of the souls of men."  This is my new favorite missionary scripture because I really believe every missionary who has ever served or will served was foreordained to do so. I also believe we already learned how to be missionaries, and we are now only re-learning how to serve our missions now that we are on earth. I also know that every member of the church IS and missionary. I am not the full-time misionary here in Silverton... the MEMBERS who live here are the full-time missionaries here in Silverton. I won't be here in 18  months - but they still will be. And likewise for each of you. YOU are the full-time missionaries in your area. Remember that, because it is your job to help the missionaries find people to teach because you know who is ready to hear the message - they are your friends, they are your family members.
 
Well, I love you so much! Thanks for your support, prayers, letters, packages, and love. I hope you have a wonderful week. May God bless you with every blessing you stand in need of.
 
Love,
Sister Seal

No comments:

Post a Comment