Monday, May 19, 2014

Loving Mamanguape

Loving Mamanguape. The only problem: the mosquitoes do too.... So my legs look like I have the chicken pox- all the time hahaha oh the joys of living in a jungle. 

We had a baptism yesterday- Izac. It was really cool. Other cool news: Maria´s (recent convert) daughter, Tieli was baptized yesterday!!! She is a girl I was teaching when I left. YES!

Bad news: I don't know what is wrong with my camera cord... I cant seem to upload pics anymore. I am trying to work something out but I think I am just going to have to buy an card adapter to just upload directly from the memory card instead of using the cord. We will see. But, that means, no pictures, again. Not my best news either because I have some pretty great pics I am dying to send home. 

This was a great week. We worked HARD! We had a leadership training Friday and I was feeling really stressed about that- but I know Heavenly Father fits us to every calling to which He calls us. We are never left in our own strength while in the Lord´s service. 

I love my companion. She is super chic! She is from Chile, and is 19. Shes an only child- her parents both served missions and we get along really well. This transfer is just going to be great, I can tell. As for my area, its basically Guarabira, but without hills. Score. I am liking my new branch too- everyone here is really nice. 

I got 2 packages this week. HUGE SHOUT OUT TO MOM AND KIM! Thank you. I also got some pretty great letters. Thank you so much. In one of Kim´s letters, she shared a scripture that I LOVED and wanted to share with you all today. Isaiah 25:8-9 : “He will swallow up death in victory and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all the faces and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the Lord hath spoken it. And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; and we have waited for him and he will save us: this is the Lord, we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation.”

Waiting is a really interesting idea- one we as members of the church have a greater understanding of that than the rest of the world. That is a privilege. May we not forget that waiting and patience do not mean giving up on the righteous desires of your heart; it only means working with all your might, and accepting not only the Lords will, but His timing.  That is the way the Lord works miracles- through our faith, patience, prayers, and diligence.

I read a quote this morning by Neil L. Andersen, “Miracles are not always so immediate. At times, we thoughtfully wonder why the miracle we have so earnestly prayed for does not happen here and now. But as we trust in the savior, promised miracles will occur. Whether in this life or the next, all will be made right. The savior declares: ``Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid.” “In the world ye shall have much tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world`` (John 16:33). I testify that as you love Him, trust Him, believe Him, and follow Him, you will feel His love and approval. As you ask, “What Christ thinks of me?” you will know that you are His disciple, you are His friend. By His grace He will do for you what you cannot do for yourself. 

“In a future day, every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is the Christ. On that day, our concern will not be, `Do others consider me Christian?’ At that time our eyes will be fixed on Him, and our souls will be riveted on the question, ‘What Christ thinks of me?’”

Perhaps the greatest miracle of my week was an idea that my district leader shared with us on Thursday. It is a 40-day fast. Obviously not of food and water.... but of behaviors. My invitation to each of you is that you participate, because I can already see a difference in my life and in my work. If you would like to participate, here is what you do:

You start with a regular fast (the 24 hour without food) asking during those 24 hours that Heavenly Father shows you 10 things you need to change to become more Christ-like, It could be things you do, things you don't, fears you have... etc. After your fast, you make a covenant with Heavenly father that you are going to change, according to these 10 ``commandments`` He gave you. You begin your 40-day fast by saying this prayer, making this covenant, and in return, you ask for NOTHING. Don't ask for special blessings or more success... etc. Just ask for the strength to change according to His will. This is your purification/ sanctification process. 

I absolutely loved the idea. I don't know if I explained it well enough, but I hope it made sense. It is only an invitation, and if you decide to do so, I would love to know! I promise you that you will see miracles- ones you weren't expecting or asking for but ones Heavenly Father wants to give you. Good luck. 

That's about it for today... I love you all so much, thank you for your support. Be safe, have a wonderful week! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment